Mind of Michael Jones.

Any postings that you see on this BLOG are going to be my general opinions on Life, or research into life’s little idiosyncrasies. A BLOG is meant to stir up debate amongst its readers. I have realized that I have some preconceived notions of the world that may or may not be correct and I would like your help in finding the answers. Please make it a habit when you read my BLOG to comment and disagree or post your own thoughts on what I have discussed. Enjoy your Reading......

Friday, May 06, 2005

Shirt Collars. What is the Deal?

So I was at the gym today and I was thinking about collars on shirts. I don't know why but I was thinking about it.

So I thought to myself, why are their collars on shirts? I mean why are they there. When we are just lazing around the house we never have collars on our T-shirts and we are fine. So I went online in search of some answers. Do collars serve any practical purpose, and what happened over time to place such importance on collars? Collars are a necessity in the work place and at social functions. WHY WHY WHY???


Here is a link to some History on collars:
http://www.uaf.edu/theatre/students/resumes/res/collars/collars.html

This link tells a little about the recent history of the collar and how it has developed into its modern state but still tells us nothing about why the collar was ever used in the first place. Usually there is some practical purpose behind fashion even if that purpose has been lost over the centuries. I must find this purpose.

Here is another link that talks a little about this very thing:
http://www.holl.it/eng/HISTORY_shirts_mensshirts.asp

Here is another link about the history of Neckties.
http://www.neckties.com/history.php


After doing all this research it is my conclusion that the collar is simply on a shirt to hold the Tie in place. Shirts such as the polo shirt are no more than fashions attempt to have a T-shirt that has a collar and buttons. It is just a mix between a T-shirt and a Dress Shirt.

Collars are here because of Ties and Ties are here because of a War. What if this War had never happened and no one had ever worn ties. Would there be no Collars? What would businessmen look like today?

It is interesting to think that a few changes in history could completely change the look of the modern man.

What do you think?

1 Comments:

At 5/06/2005 05:12:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think neckties are inherently evil... and it goes to show that tradition is really the only thing standing in the way of their demise.

I'd say let's start a grassroots revolution towards the abatement of tie utilization in the workplace, social events, and our culture.

Only together can we squash this relic of this european king's fancy.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home